Pages

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Not much painting, but alot of gaming going on!

So there you go, I had hoped to have more painting done as of late, but I have been distracted by playing a few new games. First game that I tried this monday was Victory at Sea by Mongoose Games

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/ basicly it's a WW2 Sea battle game pitting the Axis & Allies navies against each other. The game system is very much like there Babylon 5 rules with a few modifications. My friend Mike G brought the game over and we played a historical match up of two arch enemies the British verse the Germans. The match up was of four ships, the Prince Eugene & Bismark for the Germans, the British had the Hood & King George. Mike allowed me to play the Germans & he took the British. After reading through the rules we set out to play the game. The rules are very simple and fast playing, although Mike & I agree that the rules are biased towards the Germans, which is strange for a rules set written by English authors. The game lasted about an hour and a half with us looking up few rules. And all in all it went well. The only problems we had were the turning templates that came with the rules. They are only one sided and the are not evenly marked so if you turn to one side you have a greater move distance. Mike is planning on copying the template to clear asitate so you can flip it over and still see the markings. The other issue was were to measure from the ship counters provided. The rules state you measure from the red dot on the counters, but there are none. But all in all the game was very enjoyable and Mike has gone out & purchased GHQ models of British, Germans, Americans & Japanese ships. So we will be playing again.

After playing VaS we busted out another game Mike brought over which was Supersystems

which can be bought from Old Glory http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/ as well as about 15 figures from the Westwind line. One of my other friends Brandon f came over to check out the game. So once again Mike gave us a brief of the rules, and then we choose three figures each for our Super Hero teams. I had Grav Girl, T Bolt & Tekton, Mike had The Siberian, Emerald Alien, and Wildman, Brandon had Rigger, Adder & Saber Skull. The mission, to beat the crap out of each other & see who still stood after the cloberin time was over.


The game uses action points and at first I was very leery of this having played many FASAs games that use Action points. But this system worked out very well. In fact the rules reminded me of Lord of the Rings by GW. You have to make what the system calls Goal Rolls of 4,5 or 6's on a D6 dice roll. This is used for everything and is what feels like LotR when you fight. All in all the rules work very well & this is a game I will be playing more of. In fact I now have the rules (Thanks to Mike) and have been going through reading them so I do better the next time.



By the way, Brandon was the one who one the bash and we all had a blast playing. Now Mike G is supposed to be painting up some of his figures for the next time we play.



I have also been busy assembling the new Warhammer Empire figures for Mike G. He has no patience for assembling models, so I get the fun job of doing it in trade for more lead & plastic. I have to say the new plastic Empire troops are crap! I don't like them. They have too much detail sculpted on them and only allow a very limited number of poses. GW also has switched to a new type of plastic that is a dark grey color & is a little more flexiable than the previous plastic. My complaint is that mold lines are harder to clean up, the plastic seems to score more when using jewlers files & you can see the grooves it causes in the plastic. My advice to Mike was to look for the older plastic models, but he has already bought everything for the army, so I now have to deal with it for him.


So there you have it, been distracted by new games & new toys, man I'm so weak!


TK

No comments: